MillionaireMatch

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When the bad experiences heavily outweigh the good ones

Even though I (31M) would like to be in a healthy and stable romantic relationship, I feel like I lack proper motivation to pursue it, simply because I've never had a real chance to experience it as such, so it's almost like I don't even know what I'm going after, like I've never had a proper taste of the end goal in order to find it sufficiently worthwhile.

I've had two relationships, if you can even call them that, so far: one which was a very one-sided first-base affair with a woman who had a bipolar/schizoaffective disorder and kept passively leading me on (i.e. never quite rejecting me in a way in which she would distance herself from me for my own good) for my friendship while being in love with (and going after) someone else, and another in which I covered all three bases with a woman who had BPD and for whom I was ultimately only a rebound once every week for a little over a month (which I liked the tempo of but didn't get enough real intimacy from at all), despite wanting an actual relationship. Each of those women also ended up hospitalised (for hysteric and/or self-poisoning episodes) at least once during those periods, and those situations, among others, brought me several episodes of anxiety back then.

It's been almost 10 years since the former "relationship" and almost 7 years since the latter one, but I haven't really dated in the meantime. Sure, I've had - and used - various social opportunities to gauge the interests of women I found at least attractive and pleasantly captivating enough to talk to, but I've never quite felt any impulses that would break my self-control enough for me to feel compelled to make any serious moves... and the reason I feel I need my self-control broken, in a way (and no, no substances have helped so far, however psychoactive), is because, from my own standpoint, my lack of willingness to attempt any further escalations from the position of anything other than a girl escalating first or being blatantly smitten with me is entirely reasonable. It's like I'm supposed to reach out using something that doesn't quite exist in me on its own, in order to get to something that I don't even believe exists.

There is psychological research that suggests that a stable and fruitful relationship should have about five positive experiences for each negative one (and that's even considered to be the optimal ratio, because there should be a healthy minimal dose of conflict in order for the relationship to keep developing without significant stagnations), but based on my own past relationships, the score is overwhelmingly in the favour of the cons over the pros. Moreover, while imagining potential negative experiences produces negative emotions in the present, imagining potential positive experiences does NOT analogously yield positive emotions in the present as a result; therefore, I don't see how I could make dating fun. It might be that I just haven't found an adequate person approach-wise, but even that got ruined for me by the fact that my two "exes" essentially escalated first and yet they were very unstable people. I'm not inherently attracted to instability, even though it can bring a sense of adventure to dating and relationships. I've had romantic and sexual excitement tied to anxiety back then, and it was horrible. Hell, before I got together with those women, at least I could follow some youthful instincts that were still untainted; but afterwards, tallying the score, I felt like those relationships weren't rewarding at all. The kissing was mediocre, the desires were unaligned, the sex was terrible, and I never managed to keep those relationships for long enough to improve upon any of that. It all felt pointless.

In closing, I would also like to stress that I've also been in psychotherapy for 9 full years now, and that it's helped me more than I could describe. I'm also in a genuine phase of focusing on other areas of my life, like finding a job, and I'm working through my baggage by recognising it and also learning a great deal of self-love that I've missed for the great majority of my life (although that, too, seems to indirectly reduce my need for a relationship, since a part of it consisted of my projection of my parental figures onto my potential partners).

TL;DR

I think that my lack of motivation for pursuing a relationship is both fundamentally rational and fully justified by my unfortunate past relationship experiences, and I feel helpless to change that without forcing myself to date in the absence of any positive feelings and visions for my dating future at all, which would just make it even more boring and unappealing. I would like to know if there's anything that I can do to "start believing in love again" without having to rely on blind luck of someone being assertive enough to either escalate or not get turned off by my transparency about my own baggage-induced relationship apathy. I've learnt not to fixate on this, but I wouldn't wish it upon anyone, either.

I understand your situation and can see that you've faced significant challenges in your romantic life. The feelings you're experiencing are not uncommon, especially after encountering such difficult and emotionally taxing relationships. Your experiences with partners who had severe mental health issues undoubtedly left an impact on your approach to dating and relationships. It’s entirely reasonable to feel hesitant about pursuing new relationships when past experiences have been more painful than rewarding.

The sense of lacking motivation to pursue a relationship often stems from a combination of negative past experiences and the absence of a clear vision of what a healthy, fulfilling relationship looks like. When you haven't experienced a positive, stable relationship, it's hard to know what you're aiming for or why it's worth the effort. This is compounded by the fact that your past relationships have been marked by instability and emotional turmoil, making the prospect of dating seem unappealing or even daunting.

It's commendable that you've been in therapy for nine years and have made significant progress in other areas of your life. Therapy can be a crucial tool in understanding and overcoming the emotional barriers that past relationships can create. Your journey towards self-love and self-improvement is an essential foundation for any future relationship. It's important to recognize that your focus on self-development is not a sign of giving up on relationships but rather a step towards becoming the best version of yourself, which in turn makes you a better partner when the right time and person come along.

One approach to rekindling your belief in love without relying on blind luck is to shift your perspective on dating. Instead of viewing it as a means to an end (finding a relationship), consider it an opportunity for personal growth and social enrichment. This shift can reduce the pressure and help you see dating as a process rather than a goal. Engaging in social activities, hobbies, or groups where you can meet people with similar interests can provide a more organic and less pressured environment for forming connections.

It's also important to manage expectations and allow yourself to experience the journey rather than fixating on the outcome. Building meaningful relationships takes time, and it's okay to start small. Focus on developing friendships first and see if they naturally evolve into something more. This approach can help you build trust and comfort with potential partners without the immediate pressure of a romantic relationship.

Transparency about your past and current feelings can be a double-edged sword. While it's crucial to be honest, it’s equally important to present your vulnerabilities in a way that invites understanding and empathy rather than deterring potential partners. Finding a balance in how and when to share your past can be tricky, but it’s essential for building authentic connections.

Additionally, consider discussing these specific issues with your therapist. They can provide tailored strategies to help you navigate dating and relationships in a way that aligns with your current emotional state and goals. They might also suggest practical exercises or role-playing scenarios to help build your confidence and reduce anxiety about dating.

In summary, your feelings of apathy towards dating are understandable given your past experiences. By focusing on personal growth, managing expectations, and approaching dating as a journey rather than a destination, you can gradually rebuild your motivation and belief in the possibility of a healthy, fulfilling relationship. Continue to leverage the support of your therapist and take small, manageable steps towards opening yourself up to new experiences. Remember, the journey to finding love can be as enriching as the destination itself.

Comment

I can sense the frustration and helplessness in your words. It's as if you're stuck in a cycle of rationalizing your lack of motivation to pursue a relationship, and it's understandable given your past experiences. I want to assure you that I'm here to listen, understand, and offer guidance to help you break free from this cycle.

Firstly, let's acknowledge that your past relationships have indeed been challenging, to say the least. Dealing with partners who have mental health issues, being led on, and experiencing anxiety episodes can be emotionally draining. It's no wonder you're hesitant to dive back into the dating scene. Your self-control, as you call it, is a coping mechanism to protect yourself from potential heartache and emotional turmoil.

However, I want to gently challenge your assumption that you need to feel a strong impulse or have someone escalate first before making a move. While it's natural to want to feel a spark, it's essential to recognize that relationships involve effort and commitment from both parties. It's not about waiting for someone to sweep you off your feet, but rather about taking small steps towards building a connection with someone.

The psychological research you mentioned about the 5:1 ratio of positive to negative experiences in a relationship is fascinating. It highlights the importance of cultivating a positive and supportive dynamic in a partnership. However, I want to caution you against using this ratio as a benchmark for your own relationships. Every relationship is unique, and what works for one couple may not work for another.

It's also crucial to recognize that your past experiences have shaped your perceptions and expectations of relationships. While it's natural to have some anxiety about potential negative experiences, it's essential to focus on the present moment and the possibilities that lie ahead. Instead of dwelling on the cons, try to imagine the positive experiences you could have in a relationship. What would it feel like to have a supportive partner, to share laughter and adventures together, or to have someone to rely on during tough times?

I'm impressed that you've been in psychotherapy for 9 years and have made significant progress in your personal growth. Focusing on self-love and recognizing your baggage are essential steps towards healing and moving forward. However, I want to encourage you to explore how your past experiences may be influencing your current mindset and behaviors.

One potential area to explore is your tendency to project your parental figures onto your potential partners. This can lead to unrealistic expectations and a sense of disappointment when reality doesn't meet your idealized vision. By recognizing and working through these projections, you may find that your need for a relationship shifts, and you become more open to the possibilities that exist.

Lastly, I want to assure you that it's okay to take things at your own pace. You don't need to force yourself to date or put on a facade of enthusiasm. Instead, focus on building a sense of curiosity and openness towards relationships. Start small by engaging in social activities, joining clubs or groups that align with your interests, or volunteering. These small steps can help you build confidence and develop a sense of connection with others.

Remember, believing in love again doesn't require blind luck or a magical spark. It's about cultivating a sense of hope, openness, and willingness to take small risks. You've already taken significant steps towards healing and growth; now, it's time to explore the possibilities that lie ahead.

Comment

Working...
      X